Monday, March 28, 2011

OMG I LIVE IN KOREA NOW!!!!


After saying a sad goodbye to my family and Kate at the airport (and eating my final American pizza), I made it safely to Korea. My flight was uneventful. I had my own screen for the first time ever!!! Brian was right, the 777 is pretty sweet. I watched 4 films: True Grit (Western, made me wish I’d actually watched all 6 hours of Lonesome Dove), The Romantics (sad white people, mostly sad white Katie Holmes), Love and Other Drugs (Jake Gyllenhal and Anne Hathaway have a lot of sex and she has Parkinson’s) and Beauty and the Beast (which I unfortunately slept through). I also played a little Tetris. I suck at it. Mostly I tried to keep to myself and not be too fidgety.

Upon arrival, everything went great. I rode the bus and stared out the window. I saw a lot of amazing things and took a few pictures. I shared a cab with a guy from San Francisco who is teaching for the same company as I am. During training, we are staying in a hotel in the Gangnam neighborhood of Seoul. We have a sweet suite!! I have three roommates; one from Gig Harbor who went to UW (oddly enough), one from Utah and another from Auckland, New Zealand. Lauren, from Gig Harbor, and I spent the Sunday exploring the city. I bought a new purse and a few other necessary items. We figured out the subway system and ate delicious Korean food. Don’t worry, Kev, I’ll be an expert by the time I come home.

I’m happy to report that I’ve already had a mishap! My first attempt at a shower was foiled by freezing water. It was early in the morning on Sunday, so I thought, “Oh, it’s a popular shower time, I’ll wait ‘til later in the day.” I waited until the afternoon and took the coldest and least satisfying shower OF ALL TIME. Literally the second I got out, I remembered the youtube video of someone’s apartment I watched with Kate and Erin. YOU HAVE TO TURN THE HOT WATER ON. It was a life-changing realization. I took the hottest and longest shower to make up for the horrible first one. I’ll tell you one thing, I will never make that mistake again.

So anyway, I’ve arrived. In order to keep this post of modest length, I’ll detail my first day of training in a second post. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment